I am always scraping something together at the last minute to complete a meal. So having easy, healthy side dish recipes at the tip of my fingers is so key. I have tried numerous versions of “the green bean side dish” and I think this was the best. I love the combination of sauteed onions and mushrooms with the crunch of the green beans.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbls olive oil (can sub broth for healthier option)
- 1/2 Tbls butter (optional)
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1. Place trimmed green beans, water and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt in a small skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until beans have softened slightly but are still crisp. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in another pan add olive oil and butter. Once butter has melted, add onions and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes or until softened.