If you are someone who thinks you can’t cook, or doesn’t like to cook or never has time, meet the love of your life – the slow cooker. Best. Invention. Ever. As I said the other day, I love any recipe that has directions that read “throw it all in and mix”, well this is similar. “Throw it all in in the morning and come home to dinner already made. The options are endless, the ask Stephanie O’Day who challenged herself, as a New Year’s Resolution to use her slow cooker every single day for a year. 365 days! Hence the name of her blog Crock Pot 365 : A Year of Slow Cooking. Seriously, you have to check it out! Here is one that I tried last night and everyone’s bowl was empty so I think it was a hit!
- 2 sweet potatoes (or 1 really big one), peeled and in 2-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice (not pictured. If you don’t have any in the house, use water)
- Optional: cheese, sour cream, cilantro for garnish
Peel and chunk the sweet potato and add to the pot. Add diced onion. Then add the red bell pepper, can of tomatoes, beans, garlic, and seasonings. Pour in OJ and water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the onion is translucent and the sweet potato is fork-tender. This feeds 4-5 people.