Well apparently my little rant worked! Nothing but sunshine predicted for the next week! I guess I should rant more often…. Nah, I won’t do that to you. So on to the goodies – This little gem came to me when I looked at my fruit bowl and was discouraged by the brown bananas I saw. I HATE wasting food but I am kind of sick of bananas so I ho-ed and I hum-ed and then it came to me, like a revelation from above – I shall make banana bread, and I shall make it vegan with chocolate chips.
- 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup of applesauce
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Optional: flax seed, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork or potato masher. Add applesauce, maple syrup, and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt (and flax if desired).
3. Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until loaf is golden brown on top. Do the toothpick trick to make sure it is done though because mine was still pretty gooey (I like it that way though so I was ok with it)
4. When done to your liking, remove loaf from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then proceed to dig in head first as I did 🙂