Prior to my going vegan/plant-based diet we would have burger night almost religiously once a week. Well last week I decided to play along and make my own veggie form so I didn’t feel left out. I decided to make these black bean and quinoa burgers/cakes and you better believe nobody finished their burgers because they all had one of MINE!!! Muah ha ha ha – I win. I couldn’t believe how great these turned out and how easy-peasey they were to whip up! All the ingredients are always stocked in my kitchen so there is no doubt that I will be making this very often from now on. The best part about this recipe is you can add whatever you want in it to change it up. Ideas I have for the future are corn, bell pepper, spinach, and mushrooms. (Recipe from Katy at the Singing Runner)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 c. cooked tri-color quinoa (~1/2 c. dry)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 c. chopped green pepper (not pictured)
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1/2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (or seasonings of your choice)
- 1/2 T Nutritional Yeast
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. Panco crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of veggie broth
1) In a medium sauce pan, cook quinoa for 15 minutes.
2) While quinoa is cooking, rinse and drain beans with water. Then, in a medium bowl, mash up the beans until it reaches a uniform consistency.
5) Form small 2-inch patties, roll it in bread crumbs and set aside.