I have made this twice now since I attended Dawn’s class at The Chopping Block. It is just so awesome! I make a ton so I can have leftovers throughout the week. It is a great recipe for those who are not a huge fan of veggies because they are so delicious. I thought the cumin mixture was the best but if you want to try all three it’s fun to see how different they are.
Roasted Squash Trio
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 small squashs, seeded and cut into 6 pieces (2” each) – you can use acorn, butternut squash or calabaza.
- 1-2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1-2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 Tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Make dressing by combining vinegar, oil, honey, salt and black pepper and separate into 3 large bowl (large enough to toss squash in)
2. Toss 1 squash with 2 Tablespoons dressing and sage. Toss another squash with 2 Tablespoons dressing and chipotle peppers in adobo. Toss the last squash with 2 Tablespoons dressing and cumin.
3. Place the squash on baking sheet upside down in a few centimeters of water (this cuts the cooking time in half). Roast for 20 minutes; flip and roast 20 more minutes. Remove from the oven once browned and a fork pierces it easily. Garnish with hazelnuts.
NOTE: Eat the squash skin, it will be tender, flavorful and filled with nutrients.
Nutritional facts: (1 serving= 3 pieces) 200 calories; 10g total fat; 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat; 0mg cholesterol; 95mg sodium; 31g carbohydrate; 6g fiber; 11g sugar; 3g protein; vitamin A 270%; vitamin C 60%; calcium 10%; iron 10%
Dawn explained that nuts get a bad rap for being high in fat, which they are but fat is good for you, necessary in fact, in small amounts. Toasted nuts, salted nuts, or altered nuts in anyway (a.k.a anything but raw) brings out the flavor and stimulates appetite making you overeat. You will be satisfied with a small portion of raw nuts however altered nuts will not satisfy your taste buds enough.