Well folks its back to reality this week. I’m home from my long Thanksgiving vacay in Minnesota and back to work, as I’m sure the rest of you are too. The time between Thanksgiving and New Years is always a weird one. Either you are crazy busy or not busy at all – I guess it depends on the industry. Either way I love this time of year. Getting together with friends for holiday parties, getting dressed up for the holiday parties, and my favorite, cooking for holiday parties – YAY! I tried this stuffed mushroom appetizer on my friends and family last week and it may be my favorite appetizer recipe I’ve tried, and definitely the biggest crowd-pleaser. I had a lot of leftover filling so I used it as a dip with crackers the next day, which was fabulous! This is a great recipe to bring to holiday parties and is super easy to make. (You can get creative with this one too and incorporate meat, other cheeses, etc.)
- 12 large crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I used Tofutti vegan cream cheese)
- 3 tablespoons port wine (I used Cabernet)
- 1 teaspoon Italian-style seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Remove stems from mushrooms. Set aside caps. Finely chop stems, discarding hard pieces.
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in mushroom caps, garlic and green onions. Cook and stir until soft, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool until easily handled.