I haven’t been home (to Minnesota) in a while and it feels really good to be here. I got in on Saturday for the Thanksgiving holiday because I saved up my days off so I can have the whole week. So far I’ve been to a Vikings game, dinner with Grandma and rents, I made dinner for rents and tonight I made dinner for my best friend and her boyfriend at my parents house. Great food, good wine and fabulous company. Cathy and I have been friends since high school and we continue to have a great relationship. We don’t talk often (neither of us are really sit-on-the-phone-and-chat kind of people) but when we see each other it’s like no time has passed at all. She is the perfect girlfriend – trusting, honest and genuine. You don’t come across a lot of people in your life like Cathy so when you do, you learn to really appreciate them and I appreciate our friendship more than I can ever put into words. So I was delighted when she and her boyfriend came over for dinner and I could cook for them. I decided to go with the twice baked butternut squash, a beet and goat cheese salad, and one of the recipes from Dawn’s cooking class I took last Thursday, the pumpkin, black bean and poblano tacos.
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped poblano peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup of canned pumpkin puree
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed & drained
- S&P to taste
- Tortillas, warmed
- Optional – crumbled queso fresco or avocado
Radish slaw ingredients (not optional, must do – it is imperative to the overall flavor of this dish)
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh radishes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 lime and add some zest for added flavor
1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute oil, poblanos, chili powder and cumin for 2 minutes. Add pumpkin, beans, S&P and saute another 3-5 minutes, until heated.
2. Make slaw while mixture is heating. Combine radishes, cilantro and lime juice.
3. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the pumpkin mixture into each warm tortilla and top with radish slaw and optional toppings.