Sorry Marilyn but never mind diamonds, chocolate is a girl’s best friend, or at least for me, it has been lately. In keeping with the theme of this blog, I feel it is my duty to healthify favorite foods making healthy eating easier and a realistic lifestyle. I found this recipe on Carlyn’s blog, Not the Normal Teenage Fare.
- 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup of pure maple syrup (you can also do a combo of 1/2 syrup 1/2 sugar sub)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa, baking powder, instant coffee, baking soda and salt.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients – applesauce, maple syrup/sugar and vanilla.
3. Add wet to dry and mix until combined then fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 20 mins or until brownies are set.