I am always on the look out for new meal ideas that I haven’t tried to make yet. And since my 28 day plant-based diet challenge I have had a particular interest in vegetarian and vegan recipes. I had ordered a falafel pita at a restaurant and wanted to try making it myself.
- 1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- Whole wheat pitas, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber and spinach
- 2/3 cup of plain fat-free yogurt (you can also use sour cream)
- 1/3 cup of Tahini sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons water (as much as needed to get consistency desired)
- Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place all ingredients except the flour and baking powder into a food processor and pulse until well chopped but not pureed. Add flour and baking powder and pulse a few times to combine. Test mixture to see if it is holding together well enough to form balls, add flour as needed.
2. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray then shape mixture into golf ball sized balls, placing them on your dish with some space between them. Bake until browned on top, about 15-20 minutes (mine took a bit longer, I think I should have added some more flour).
4. Serve falafel balls in a whole wheat pita (I used weight watchers), with spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers. Sprinkle yogurt sauce on top. This would be great with hummus as well. I served mine with Yogi Chips which are all natural and gluten-free!