Well I am rounding out my last few days as a vegan (at least as strict at the Engine 2 Diet is, I am starting to like it I think….shh don’t tell Corey!) One of the hard things about this diet is that I can’t just throw a pizza in the oven on the nights I don’t feel like cooking. I found that the solution to this is pasta, doesn’t get much easier plus you can throw in any veggies that are close to going bad that you need use up. When I was feeling especially uncreative one night I turned to my ever reliable Twitter followers for help. I got several great dinner ideas and saved them all but this night I decided to try Chelsey’s “Creamy” Artichoke and Green Bean Rotini from Clean Eating Chelsey. This was so easy to make, I always have the ingredients on hand (or a variety of ingredients I can use) and it was awesome! Thanks Chelsey! I adapted it slightly to fit my diet and match the ingredients I already had (there was no way I was running to the grocery store).
- 1 box of pasta (I chose quinoa pasta but whole grain or wheat pasta works too)
- 1 cup of frozen green beans
- 1 can of artichoke hearts
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Veggies broth for sauteing
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of oven-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1 tsp. gluten free or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Start cooking your pasta per the directions on the package. While waiting for your water to boil, begin your cream sauce.
2. Start by melting your vegan margarine in a small saucepan. Then, add your almond milk, hummus, nutritional yeast, and dijon mustard. Whisk until smooth.
3. Add your spices and simmer over low heat for ~5 minutes.
4. While your sauce is simmering, chop your vegetables and place all but the artichokes in a skillet with veggie broth and a splash of water. Heat over medium high heat until tender. Add your artichokes and heat for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Toss your pasta and vegetables with the cream sauce and serve! I am so sorry, but I was so hungry that I ate the whole thing and forgot to take a picture! I’ll be making this again soon though so I will add the picture later….or you can just make yourself and check it out 😛