In experimenting with ways to cook on a plant-based diet I came up with this recipe for apple pie using a mixture of raw and vegan cooking techniques. The result was a delicious, healthy treat that is filling and guilt-free!
- 1/2 cups of raw almonds (or cashews)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup of pitted dates (I could only find prunes – same diff)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 7 small fuji apples
- Cinnamon to taste
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 cups of dates (or prunes)
- Optional – 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop apples into small pieces. Place in a pan (I put foil over it for easy clean up). Sprinkle cinnamon on top and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes.
4. Once the apples are done, let cool then place in processor. Add remaining ingredients for the apple filling (dates, lemon juice and lemon zest). Process thoroughly then pour into pie pan on top of almond crust.