So if you guys thought my last appetizer, Pea Pesto Crostini, was the most perfect app to bring to a party – meet it’s competition! This is a healthy vegetable side or hors d’oeuvres, it is so delicious and, it is too cute to boot!! I served it with a NY strip steak topped with a latin-chimichuri inspired puree and kale over a bed of healthified garlic mashed potatoes. (Asparagus recipe adapted from Jessie over at The Hungry Mouse)
- Asparagus, rinsed, dried and ends trimmed
- Frozen puff pastry, thawed
- kosher salt
- Either 1 egg, beaten or melted butter
Sage Infused Sour Cream Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, minced + a few whole sage leaves for garnish
- freshly cracked black pepper
1. Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and unwrap, laying it out in one sheet on the counter to thaw.
2. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper, setting it aside. (You can also use non-stick cooking spray if you don’t have parchment paper)
3. Lay a slice of prosciutto down. Set three spears on top of it, so that they’re centered and roll the asparagus up in the prosciutto.
5. To make the bow, cut a thin strip of puff pastry. Fold one end over in a loop. Then cross it with another loop to form a bow. Dab the pastry with a little cold water, and set the bow down in the center. The water will help it to stick. Press down gently in the center (where the knot on the bow would be) to help secure it.
Sage Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
1. Mix sour cream and Parmesan in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Mince up sage and add to sour cream mixture.
3. Add freshly cracked black pepper, to taste and mix together.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with whole sage leaves.
In other news:
Kate over at A Healthy Passion is hosting a fabulous giveaway of her favorite things http://t.co/tje2QmV
Leanne over at Healthful Pursuit is hosting a cookie GIVEAWAY – chance to win a bunch of healthy cookies! Enter at http://bit.ly/hfstOI