Probably one of the most calorie-dense, carb-laden dishes on the menu is the Chicken Parmesan. Unfortunately, it happens to be one of the yummiest. Since I love a challenge though, I decided to make an attempt at healthifying this delicious Italian masterpiece. (This recipe is adapted from Amanda Skrip‘s oven-fried chicken recipe)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup Veganaise
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup of brown crispy rice creal (or Panco breadcrumbs)
- 2 cups of whole wheat melba toast
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices of low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce
- Quinoa angel hair noodles
1. Whisk together the yogurt, veganaise, water, mustard and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Place chicken in a large freezer bag and pour yogurt mixture over chicken. Place in refrigerator for 30-90 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place rice cereal, melba toast, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and remaining salt into a food processor; pulse until fine. Pour into a separate large freezer bag.
3. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a baking dish. Begin cook noodles according to directions on packaging.
4. Using tongs, remove chicken from marinade and transfer into breadcrumb mix. Seal bag and shake to coat.
5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken in hot oil on both sides until golden, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and place in baking dish. Drizzle olive oil on top.