This recipe is adapted from the amazing Amanda Skrip, the best natural foods chef and wellness consultant in Chicago! We went to one of her cooking classes and have not stopped making her recipes since! This recipe was originally made with broccoli (which was awe-mazing!), but we wanted to try it with green beans. This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free, and even better, it is boyfriend approved!
- 4-5 cups of green beans
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked in water for about 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (this is what gives it it’s cheesy flavor)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of brown crispy rice cereal, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a medium baking dish with oil.
2. Boil green beans for 5-10 minutes.
5. Drain cashews, add to blender with nutritoin yeast, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, water, and salt. Blend until creamy. Pour sauce over beans and onions and stir to coat.
6. Evenly distribute mixture in baking dish cover with parchment paper then seal with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove parchment paper and foil, sprinkle crispy rice and parmesan (if desired) on top. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Let cool then serve.