Best news ever, I have finally found a healthy recipe for the childhood favorite mac & cheese! I adapted this recipe from Amanda Skrip‘s whom we took a cooking class from a few weeks ago.
- 2 cups of peeled and chopped carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 oz quinoa elbow noodles
- 2 oz of neufchatel or goat cheese
- 1 and 1/4 cups of sharp cheddar cheese (or mix cheddar with other cheeses such as gruyere, parmessan, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika or chipotle or mustard powder
- Panko crumbs
- Some great additions or substitutes include skim milk, greek yogurt, or cottage cheese
1. Add carrots and water to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and drain pasta. Return pasta to the pot, add carrot puree, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and reserved cooking liquid (it will help make the cheese stick to the noodles better). Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until sauce is thin and pasta is coated.
4. Stir in cheese, paprika and other ingredients (as desired) and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper
5. Transfer mixture into a baking dish and broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until top is golden brown. (Corey doesn’t like the panko crumbs in case you were wondering why it is split down the middle…sooooo picky)