Deviled eggs are a childhood favorite of mine and a staple at our annual 4th of July party. They are a fun, easy to make, and make a great finger food appetizer to bring to a party or have handy as a mid-day snack!
- 12 large egg(s)
- 2-3 wedges of Laughing cow light swiss cheese (or 1/2 cup(s) cottage cheese, low-fat)
- 2 tablespoon relish or pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 3 tablespoon light mayonnaise (or substitute 0% Greek yogurt)
1. Place the eggs in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer (do not boil!) and cook about 10 minutes. Drain and set the pan under cold running water for about 2 minutes. Peel the eggs (its easier to do under the running water) and slice them in half lengthwise. With a small spoon, carefully remove the yolks, and put them in a medium bowl.
2. If you are using cottage cheese, put in a blender puree until smooth.
3. Mix the egg yolks with the cottage cheese mixture (or cheese wedges), mayonnaise (or yogurt), relish (or pickle juice), and mustard until thoroughly mixed
I served mine with other healthy appetizers – Spinach and Artichoke Dip, Salmon Cakes, and Chinese Dumplings.