I found this awesome recipe on Group Recipes, a great site you should all check out! I just can’t say enough about how much I love my crock pot (here, here, and here). You just throw the ingredients in, set the temp and 9 hours later, dinner is served! I altered a few things but all in all I would give this an A- for health and an A for taste! To “healthify” it, add a side of veggies and either eat it sans-taco shell or use whole wheat tortillas or shells. I served mine with homemade guacamole and a healthy bean salad (post coming soon!)
- 2 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- A dash or two of cayenne pepper
- A dash of salt and fresh ground pepper
- About 12 full sprigs fresh cilantro
1. Place rinsed chicken in crockpot and add juice from both limes, chili powder and salsa. (save lime rinds for step 2!)
2. Tie or band cilantro together and drop on top of chicken along with lime halves (these will all be fished out, later 🙂
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
4. When tender enough to shred, remove lime halves and cilantro, and shred in pot using two forks. Stir well and add remaining seasoning.
5. Continue to cook on low and simmer about 30 minutes.