I can check the first thing off of my To-Do/To-Try list! I tried Kylie’s recipe (of A Hungry Spoon) for Citrus Quinoa Salad. I paired it with lemon chicken and blackened red peppers. I got the double thumbs up from my boyfriend and his two friends, which is a major feat – these guys are not easy to please! The salad definitely surpassed my expectations and if anyone was planning on trying it, I highly suggest it! Thanks Kylie!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 – 3/4 cup water
- 3 – 4 clementines, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 firm avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 tsp. grated orange rind
- Grated lemon rind from one lemon
- 3 TBSP fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 TBSP fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- sprinkling of paprika
- A drizzle of olive oil (about 1 TBSP)
1) Whisk together dressing ingredients until well-combined; set aside.
2) Place quinoa and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is fully cooked (about 10 – 15 minutes).
3) Combine quinoa with vegetables. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir to coat.