It is my general rule that packaged foods are a no-no. Compared to fresh food they typically contain chemicals to increase their preservation, they are high in sodium and carbs and they have minimal nutritional benefits. When consumed in moderation and paired with some fresh foods, packed food isn’t so bad. And let’s be honest, sometimes they are just too good to resist. So if you are going to go packaged, you might as well have the cream of the crop, right? Well thanks to November’s issue of Women’s Health Magazine, we now have a list of some of the healthier choices in packaged food items. Out of their “125 Best packaged Foods” (p. 116- 124) I chose some of my favorites to share with you.
1. Skinny Cow Low-Fat Ice Cream Cups- I love these because they are perfectly portioned and contain a reasonable amount of calories, sugar, and fat for a treat. Reach for one of these to satisfy your sweet tooth rather than mindlessly eating handfuls of Halloween candy.
2. Weight Watchers 100% Whole Wheat Pita Pocket Bread- These are great for meals on the go. Rather than loading up on carbs with two pieces of bread, stuff a Pita Pocket with turkey and veggies for a filing, nutritious and light lunch option.
3. Annie Chun’s Chinese Stir Fry Sauce- I try to have vegetable and chicken stir fry once a week. It is such a great way to get your vegetables and is easy to cook. Pair it with a palm sized portion of brown rice and you’ve got a filing, low-fat, well-rounded meal!
4. Kashi GoLean Crisp Berry Crumble- I love Kashi because they stay true to their promise of good tasting, all natural food. I believe they really care about using the best ingredients that pack the most nutritional punch in their products, which is just the way I want to start my day!
5. Planters NUT-rition Heart Healthy Mix- Like clockwork everyday at four o’clock my blood sugar dips and hunger seems to strike with a vengeance. Healthy snacks throughout the day help regulate my blood sugar and prevent me from reaching for something bad that I crave (i.e sugar) rather than something my body needs. This nut mix is the perfect blend of salty sweet taste and filing protein to get me through my four o’clock rut!