Well if you haven’t caught on yet, I like soup. A lot. A great homemade soup is so awesome on a chilly day. And there are always leftovers which last several days, perfect to pack and bring to work. This was also very easy to make, a must here on Dishin’ About Nutrition
Cauliflower & Smoked Cheddar Soup – Eating Well Magazine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided (I used almond milk)
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used almond flour)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, 2 cups milk, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl. When the cauliflower is soft, remove the bay leaf and stir in the milk mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the soup has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and lemon juice.