I found this recipe on Cooking Light and just had to try it. I would give this a “1″ on the easy cooking Richter scale and a “10″ on deliciousness! While this is technically a fall vegetable, it is just the right recipe for curling up by the fire on a cold winter day. Butternut squash boasts tremendous health benefits that are sure to have you coming back for more.
“Low in fat, butternut squash delivers an ample dose of dietary fiber, making it an exceptionally heart-friendly choice. It provides significant amounts of potassium, important for bone health, and vitamin B6, essential for the proper functioning of both the nervous and immune systems,” according to WholeLiving.com. Remember my post about tasting the rainbow? (If not, you can read it here) This veggie will help you incorporate more of the “orange” category into your diet. “As if this weren’t enough, butternut squash may have anti-inflammatory effects because of its high antioxidant content. Incorporating more of this hearty winter staple into your diet could help reduce risk of inflammation-related disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and asthma.” (Source: WholeLiving.com)
Now for the recipe: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup soup and 1 teaspoon chives)
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (1-inch) slices fresh chives
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth.
4. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.